Due to the high interest granted the Chinese Immersion Program bySoutheast Elementary parents, a random-draw lottery system will be instituted to maintain a fair and transparent method for filling the spots available in the class. Lottery procedures and wait list policy are outlined as follows:
- Requirements for inclusion in lottery
- Enrolled in JPS and residing in Southeast Elementary attendance ward
- Application received in SE Chinese Office (mailed or delivered in person)
by 5:00PM on April 1, 2014.
- Lottery Day
- Drawing performed by objective, non-Immersion Team member
- Names typed on template, folded once and glued
- Transparent containers clearly labeled K-Boy, K-Girl
- Ratio of boys/girls established according to applicant pool
- Clearly labeled lists provided with space for each name drawn
- Names drawn in following order: K-Boy, K-Girl
- All Chinese Immersion Team members present including Assistant Superintendents.
- Wait List established as all names drawn during lottery
- Parent Notification
- Congratulation letters along with Acceptance of Placement forms mailed to homes of children selected in the lottery.
- Letters sent to those not selected, including each child’s wait list number
- Parents reminded of mandatory parent meeting to discuss specifics of program
- Completed and signed Acceptance of Placement forms returned to Southeast Chinese office.